Monday, November 24, 2008

Gone fishing or maybe just gone!

So..we are at the doctor's office for Dalton's nasty infected toe that he won't leave alone. TMI, I'm sure.. I am calling it a boy thing, but since I only have boys, I really don't know. All I know is that is gross and he WON'T leave it alone. Ok, so here we are at the doctor's office. They have this very nice fish tank in the waiting room that Dalton runs to immediately. During our last visit, we watched as these bright orange fish took turns "kissing" each other. Since I have no idea what kind of fish they are, I don't know if they were actually kissing fish, but they seriously looked as if they were kissing. I found myself interested in seeing if the fish were still kissing, so I watched with Dalton. Besides, it keeps him entertained and not running around the waiting room petting each sick kids head. Those of you who know him and have kids understand what I am saying.

We had been there only a short time, when I noticed one of the fish seemed to be following Dalton. I thought this to be odd since it was my understanding this particular tank was like a 2 way mirror and the fish could not see out, thus making them less subject to heart attacks from kids torturing them through the glass. (I seriously think a nurse had mentioned that one time while I was there) We had also never seen the fish pay attention to people before, so this was a new thing. As we watched, we decided to do some experiments. Dalton weaved up and down and the fish did indeed follow. Dalton thought is was great and kept it up for quite awhile. The fish would not follow hands or fingers, only faces. So there Dalton was with his face near the glass, quite entertained and in one spot! Oh joy!

After some time, I stated out loud to Dalton that I was surprised the fish was doing this b/c I had really thought he wasn't able to see thought the glass. Dalton, really could have cared less about my statement, he was much more interested in making the fish weave and bob while trying to keep up with his face.

It was at this time, that a lady, who was as fascinated as we were with this game of chase, joined in with a theory of her own. I had heard her sounds of surprise from across the room when we noticed the fish following Dalton, but had not said anything to her. She politely stated that she did indeed think the fish could see though the glass. I smiled and nodded in agreement, thinking I had thought wrong about the tank. I mean, I am not an expert on tanks and have only dealt with a few, so whatever..right!!! It was just a cool fish. She then continued with her discussion.
"Have you seen Happy Feet?" she said.
I had.
"Well, you know when they capture the little penguin and he is behind that glass, he starts to dance for the people, so I guess they can see through the glass!"

I tried not to stare at her in disbelief that she was relating reality to a cartoon and I said something like..."Oh yeah! Maybe!" My mind was cranking as I tried to figure out why in the world she used a cartoon as proof. It was just strange to me. Why not just say, yeah, I have seen fish follow fingers ect.

Later, as I relayed the story to Kerry, he just looked at me and said.."Isn't that a cartoon?" Yes dear...it is and I have no idea why it was brought up.

So why write this in my blog? Well, don't know really. Maybe I'm the strange one since I was so fascinated with a fish in some tank I know nothing about. Just wanted to share I guess. Think I'll go watch Happy Feet.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: