Sunday, November 2, 2008

How quickly they learn...ok, some things.

Have you noticed how quickly kids pick up on things? Last year, Xander was sick and missed his first Halloween. A few days later, I put on his costume to snap a few pictures for my sake mostly. He could have cared less either way, but I felt better. I had high hopes for a healthy Halloween this time around.

This year, I was excited to see what he would do. So, I dressed him up in a doctor suit Dalton wore a few years ago and headed off to Trunk or Treating at Southeast. We spent a few minutes inside before heading out to hit the trunks. At the first car, I ran ahead to snap a picture of Xander's first actual Halloween treating. It took only a moment for him to realize, "Hey, that lady just drop candy in my bag!" He spent the next 5 cars digging furiously in his bag trying to reach the candy until we finally gave him candy to hold. As long as he had his hands on some candy, he was happy. When we hit up a few houses in our neighborhood later in the week, he decided that those people were real cool as he was able to choose special things from some of their bowls. His choices were quite interesting as he chose the the block, aka box of Milk Duds and the ball, otherwise knows as a fudge ball covered in a wrapper that looked like an eye. Later, I had to make a dive toward him as he squashed his "ball" and had fudge all over his hands.

It was amazing how quickly the boys realized the ins and outs of the hunt. Porch light on is good, porch light off is a no go. Say Trick or Treat and thank you, then the lesson they developed on their own..the sprint ahead to the next light screaming, "Mommy, let's get some more candy!"

I have always been amazed at how quickly my boys pick up on things, yet have to be told 5 times to find their shoes, pick up a toy, or to stop beating up your brother. Is there a trick to getting them to pick it all up that fast?!? I wish!

No comments: