Thursday, November 13, 2008

Is layaway just like the style of clothes...it'll come back around!?

I was listening to the TV this morning as I ran around the house attempting to get a few things done before Xander realized I wasn't holding him (he is sick and wants Mommy) when I heard a news story about layaway. I stopped to watch b/c well...I like layaway. The story stated that Sears was bringing back layaway b/c they have noticed that a recent advertisement from Kmart having layaway has really brought people back to Kmart and to this shopping idea. It was fascinating to me b/c it told how layaway was started during the depression and BEFORE credit cards. Wow I thought, a time before credit cards. Now don't get me wrong....I have a few credit cards myself and use them all the time. My JC Penney card allows me to get awesome coupons if I spend 10.00, I get 10.00 off. I have a talent of spending right around 10.00, so that is a great deal for me..Go Clearance!!! However, we do our best to "slide" responsibly in this house.

Anyway, as I reflected on this story and a time before the almight plastic, the anchor woman stated she never remembered layaway b/c it was "before her time". What!!! How old is that chick..better yet..how old am I??? Her partner for the morning show grinned at her and stated that layaway was for individuals of his age to pay off items they wanted to buy. She was fascinated. Poor guy...and I thought she made me feel old. I was stunned when they said it had been 20 years since layaway was around. Not true I thought.

I decided that this thought deserved some facebook time, so presto...I have my status for the day. In doing this, I livened up a few people in conversation. Some of which remember layaway stating they thought several stores still had it and one...who is my younger sister's age (thank you very much) said she knew of several stores that had it. Awesome! I am not as old as I think and sad b/c so many people still don't get layaway. I mean, why should we when we can buy it with plastic and let it chalk up huge interests. Where would the instant gratification be?

Ok, so here is my plan for saving the economy: layaway and couponing. What do you think? It is at least a start!

One friend who wrote on my wall stated that that was how she learned how to save for things she wanted. I am sorry what...save? Do people still do that? Not at much as we should I think or we would not be facing a "financial crises" in America.

No comments: