Friday, November 14, 2008

I have FSS.

Yes, it is true. I have FSS. It is a self-diagnosis really. I became knowledgeable about FSS after first moving to League City. Some people we had struck a friendship up with introduced it to us because they also have FSS. A lot of people have this condition I think, but most are great at hiding its symptoms. Do I have you curious yet? Is it deadly you wonder? Only if something falls on me, then maybe. FSS is short for Flat Surface Syndrome. It seems that if there is a flat surface in my home, items seem to find a resting spot there. Some surfaces are several inches to a foot high, especially when it comes to my teaching resources. How does it happen? I can't quite figure it out. No matter what I try, the symptoms seem to reappear in full force. Rolling your eyes yet? It is a humerous situation, but also frustrating. Why do I do it? Kerry does it too, so you can only imagine.

We do not live in complete clutter, don't get me wrong, but you don't want to venture into our offices. My office, which is the former dining room has piles of everything. Projects I want to do, presents for people, resources for planning, scrapbook stuff...the list goes on. Our dear friend Lee had the condition as well. We hardly ever saw his dining room table, which is probably why he felt so at home here. :) Now we have his huge libraries of music, books, and movies. We finally got bookshelves to at least get them off the floor, but now there are bookshelves in EVERYROOM of the house minus the bathrooms, which may come next. lol

I had been working on clearing out when Lee passed away and being his executors left us with a lot of his stuff in which we still are trying to determine what to do with some it. Thus, more irritations to my FSS. I often wonder if there is a tie to ADD b/c I often feel scattered even in a state of organization. I cannot stay focused on cleaning one room...I am all over the house. Same thing with chores. I talk to myself to keep telling me..get the trash, get the trash, get the trash, so that the trash actually gets out the evening before.

I have been to several peoples homes and literally stand in awe as their home looks so neat and tidy. I know they clean before we come and then do the standard.."Oh, excuse the house, it is such a mess." I'm thinking..Liar! :) But seriously, how do they do it. I mean, I don't have anything at my house b/c I don't know where to put my junk and that our house is still unfinished inside. I feel embarrassed by it at times. It would help if I could part with my teaching stuff. That would clear a huge part of the house out, but no way, too much $ invested in it.

I have read tons of suggestions from sites, books, magazines, people and have tried them all: organizers, filing cabinets, bookshelves, labeled boxes, and so on, but we still have a stacks that need dealt with, a new home etc. I guess if we had more time somehow, maybe, but unlikely. I am going to start clearing out and that may help, but it takes 2 and hubby dear likes to hold on to stuff b/c he may need/read/listen to it someday. Wish me luck as I don't think there is a cure for FSS but maybe some relief for its symptoms.

No comments: