Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Dalton!




Well, 5 years ago today, my oldest rug rat was born. He has been saying he will be "5 in June" for about 6 months now and this evening after cake, he told Kerry he was almost 6! Wow...they do grow up fast don't they. :)



We had a little party for him with just us tonight. The plan is to have some of his friends over for something later, but we wanted to do something on his actual birthday. We noticed that he was born on a Monday the day after Father's Day exactly 5 years ago, so that was neat. This is his first "repeat" according to Kerry.

Kerry bought him an ice cream cake (Dalton's choice) and we munched down on that tonight. He then opened a few presents and spent the rest of the evening playing trains, begging for his new Lightening McQueen clock, and playing Wii with Daddy. He is hilarious playing Wii. He tries to imitate Kerry and actually does a pretty good job b/c Kerry does get pretty animated playing the game. I'll have to add some video later of that. It is quite amusing. As you can see, Dalton enjoyed his ice cream cake very much. Xander was not too disappointed either.



One of his gifts was some bday money from Miss BJ. She always remembers the boys and he was so excited to get birthday mail. He wanted to put the money in his pocket, but I made him put in a little wallet so he wouldn't lose it. He carried the card and the money around all day.



His Aunt Rolie sent him a Lightening McQueen clock. He loves clocks and CARS, so he was in heaven. We had to put it up almost immediately and now he wants to hold it. He is not quite getting the concept of it hanging on the wall even though he begged us to do it so quickly. Now that it is there, he can't play with it. We were in the den playing trains and I could not see our clock, so I asked Dalton what time it was. Instead of just stepping over a few inches to view the den clock, he told me, "I have to go look on my Lightening McQueen clock. Off he went to his room. I just had Kerry tell me because I knew he'd have to watch it for awhile. It ticks! That evidently is very cool.

We got him some new track for his wooden train set. Some unique pieces were added so he could do different tracks. He will get a few more things later, but he was already going nuts to play so I'll hold off on the other until his friends are here.

I must say that even though the night was fun and Dalton enjoyed it, I was most proud that quite awhile after it was over, Dalton leaned over to Kerry and thanked him for the cake and presents. Not many 5 year olds would do that..unprompted! I could not help but smile and feel warm all over. That's my "big"boy!

The Lord has blessed me so much with my kids. Even on the days when Xander is screaming his head off...at least he is here to scream. On the days when Dalton is following me around repeating the same thing over, and over....and over, at least he is talking now! Thank you God for my children. Help me to teach them to be caring, giving, strong young "men" and to guide them to you. AMEN!

No comments: