Friday, June 5, 2009

Things I pondered today

I had to go get Xander today from my mother's so I had 5 hours, round trip to think. Dalton was pretty much silent on the way there and isn't much of a talker when I try to chat and on the way back, the boys pretty much entertained each other. Soooo, I thought. Some of my thinking lead to my current fb status as I pondered on the economy, the struggles of some of my friends and family, and how blessed I am to be comfortable and secure in that area. There were however a few other thoughts.

Death...yes death. It seems to be something that pops into my head quite often when I drive I-10. With all that construction and traffic..what else would pop into my mind. Yikes! It could also be that each time I drive that route, I pass by the cemetery where my dear friend Lee is buried. It also didn't help that a song called "Holes in the Floor of Heaven" came on. I love that song b/c while it makes me sad some, but it also gives me hope to think that those whom I have loved so dearly and have gone to be with our Heavenly Father are somehow still there with me. The idea of Uncle Lee seeing my boys in all their successes and even orneriness makes me smile. He loved my children very deeply and I appreciated that. I often harassed him about going to the doctor and my statement would be, "Lee, I want you around to see my boys grow up!" So, while he is not here to see my children get into all sorts of trouble, he is still "here", in our hearts and influencing our daily lives by how he lived his, how he loved others, and how he gave his whole life in service to God. His favorite verse, Proverbs 17:17 and he did.

I also thought about excitement and how you show it. There are few things that I really want to happen and soon. One is a new cell phone. Ok...so that may be a little weak, but I am so out of touch with everyone when it comes to that. My current phone is really acting up so that is one thing I want to get fixed, but I also can't wait till I keep up with everyone, pray immediately when it is requested, meet someone when they just suddenly decide to grab a bite, or tell my friends what an awesome sale I just found. How silly is that, that I will be so tickled when I can actually do that? My reaction when it finally comes to play: smiles, lots of chatter and some serious attempts to email, etc.

Another exciting thing is that Kerry wants to move closer to NASA, so we are seriously pondering a move. I know of course, my plan may not be God's plan and I can tell you right now...it is not Kerry's plan either and that is to be moved by the end of the summer. Now I know...it most likely will not happen that way b/c we have a lot of work to do on this house just to get it close to selling, but I am still going to pray and work to move toward that goal. Well, we are going to go ahead and look at a few houses on occassion that peak our interest and I am excited. This made me think more about excitement b/c the house we are going to go look at is near "my" school I taught at and has nearly everything I want. I have definately had a little skip in my step since we have set up the appointment to see it.
When I was a teenager and I was excited about something, how I responded really depended on what the situation was. Getting a 1 in marching competition: jumping, screaming, hugging, tears...Ok, well, I was not alone, others were doing the same thing and we shared the excitement. Guy I had a crush on ask me out: smile real big, say yes, get details, hang up the phone then scream, jump, spin in circles etc. Hey..no one was watching. If a close girl friend was there, ok, we may both do it, but if it happen say in the school hall, I was cool as cucumber even though I thought I might pee my pants with excitement. I could not help but wonder, do we hold back our excitement now that we are older? I watch people win big things on TV and sometimes, they absolutely freak out. I want to laugh, but isn't it nice how they just don't hold back with how they feel. Maybe I should be more open to my excitement about things, less of a cool cucumber. Not real sure if I will do the screaming, spinning in circles thing I did as a teenager (at least in public), but maybe I will work on being more excited about things. Life, love, God ( I should be way more excited and appreciative of Him) and when my boys are excited about the bug they saw. I mean, I like to be excited about things. It is a high if you will. The sheer positive feelings you get from it are good for your soul. So...find something to be excited about today.

No comments: